Friday, February 8, 2013

Broadband and Second Life Do Not Play Well Together

From Oct. to the end of Jan. I was stuck with a miserable dial-up connection and couldn't use Second Life at all.  So when in Feb. I decided to spring for the pricey Virgin Broadband at $55. per month I was happy that I could open Second Life again. Just when I was starting to have fun after two successful days of being on Second Life, it stopped loading right. I couldn't see my avatar, and the rooms just weren't loading well at all. I tried 2 different servers, cleared their caches, cleared my browsers caches and still nothing. Then today I thought I better check my Broadband usage chart. OMG, I burned through more data in 2 days on Second Life than in a week on normal computer browsing. I can't do SL at this rate or my Broadband won't last the month I need it to for business use and things like Facebook and Blogger. I'm so sad that I won't be able to do SL, unless Verizon gets around to adding more portals for DSL in the Lucerne Valley.  Even $55 is a burden for limited Broadband (per month) and I can't have it running out in a week. So sad. And I still don't know if Second Life is having PMS or if it just will never load right again.  At this rate I can't sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to load. If at the end of the month I have any time left and need to burn it up fast before I pay again, I'll try loading SL again.

No comments: